Telling Tales Main Event is a fun-filled family festival that brings together the best in Canadian authors, illustrators, musicians and storytellers to inspire, engage and entertain. This year we’re going to be doing all of this virtually!
Looking for your next great read? Visit our reading list for amazing books for everyone from tots to teens!
Children from toddlers to teens will find something to capture their imagination and connect them to stories at the festival and beyond. The festival features presentations, performances and workshops tailored to different ages and interests.
“…holy moly did the gang at Telling Tales rise to the challenge! They offered the same amazing list of creators, and pulled it together in a unique and satisfying package. -best kids festival in Canada, if not the world.”
-Kevin Sylvester, CBC Broadcaster, bestselling Children’s author and illustrator.
Watch our 2020 Virtual Festival On-Demand
In 2020 we will be a virtual festival so the book swap will not be happening, but our friends at A Different Drummer Books are always a great source for your favourite titles from our reading list.
Of course no literary festival is complete without books! Under normal circumstances we would host a giant book swap as well as having A Different Drummer Books on hand selling copies of featured books from the festival.
Here are some of the highlights of the 2019 festival – this year we are virtual so watch for updates on scheduling and what we will be doing online.
- 10 performance stages—each designed to appeal to different audiences, with music and puppet stages for the very young, storytelling, stages designed for tweens and teens, illustration, talks, lots of workshops and our imagination station.
- Forest of Reading Stage featuring authors whose works are part of the Ontario Library Association’s Forest of Reading program
- Meet-and-greets with wandering literary and historical characters (great photo ops!)
- Literacy activities
- Free access to Westfield’s 35 historic buildings
- Different Drummer Books—this independent bookseller will be on-site with new titles by Telling Tales presenters
- Giant Book Swap and Shop—Bring a book to trade. Buy a bunch for your library.
The Main Event is usually held at Westfield Heritage Village, a beautiful 130-hectare site which is bordered by beautiful woodlands, meadows and trails. Due to the number of visitors expected to this event, there is no on-site parking. To make it easy for you, we offer free parking at Rockton Fairgrounds and free return shuttle service, courtesy of Hillfield-Strathallan College, running between Rockton and Westfield. No car? No problem! We have courtesy bus service from four community hubs to ensure all families have a chance to enjoy the festival.